- 3 rounds with up to 15 contestants
- 90 seconds on the mic each round
- The contestants with the 3 highest aggregate scores go through to the final
In the event that there are more than 3 contestants that qualify though their aggregate scores, the lowest of these qualifying scores will be subject to a tiebreak. This will be decided by a playoff, with the highest score in the playoff going through.
Judging is by a panel of judges chosen from the audience. The judges should not be friends or relatives of any of the contestants.
Scoring is out of 10 and should take into account both performance and content.
- Contestants must perform their own, original work
- No singing or use of props
- No deliberately sexist, racist, disablist or homophobic language
- Each contestant has 90 seconds on the mic for each round
- The clock starts from the moment the contestant speaks
- Per round, 1 point is deducted from each contestant’s score for every 3 seconds they go over time